It’s that time of year once again when gamers gleefully add more games to their ever growing backlogs. Between the dates of July 11th to July 22nd, Steam is running their perennially anticipated Summer Gateway Sale which never fails to afford gamers the opportunity to shamefully expand their Steam libraries with games they may or may never get to play. Here are some tips for the savvy shoppers among us who know not to over-zealously jump on the first appreciable sale prices on those shiny, new, and coveted game downloads they have been waiting for.
Last year during the Steam Holiday sale, I was able to purchase Batman: Arkham City GOTY for $14.99; five dollars cheaper than the Xbox 360 version of the same game at the Target Black Friday sale. I thought I got a really good deal until a few days later when I discovered Steam had dropped the price of the game to $7.49 on the last day of their sale. After attempting to get Steam to price match their own sale, which was declined, I discovered that there exists a method to navigating through these illustrious sales.
The following is a short list of tips for the savvy Steam shopper:
- The first and foremost rule to follow is that Steam sale prices are mutable. If a listed game’s sale price is between 50% to 66% off, there is a good chance that it may go down to 75% off or more later.
- Many high profile games that are listed on sale may get deeper price cuts during the daily deals – so look for them.
- If you miss out on a good daily deal, don’t fret. As I learned with Batman: Arkham City, some deals reappear on the last day of the sale, sometimes with deeper price cuts.
- You may want to go to www.steamgamesales.com, a website that chronicles the dates and services for the lowest historical sale price for just about any game available for digital download. If the Steam sale has yet to match the lowest historical sale price for your game of choice, you may want to take a chance and wait until they do since the precedent has already been set. This may be a bit of risk, but referencing www.steamgamesales.com can help aid the savvy shopper to keep track of their targeted games.
- Steam has graciously added their own tracking service for this sale which lists the current percentage of discounts for listed games at any given time during the sale.
Steam sales always provide exciting opportunities for the frugal gamer, and with a little vigilance, adherence to some of the tips above may prove useful and helpful. Hopefully, everyone will find what they’re looking for at an agreeable price, no matter how big that backlog gets.